22 February 2010

Civility

As I was just sitting in the Donnelley Science Center studying for Dr. Ryu's sociology exam, I met a very nice man named Henry. Henry is an African American man, probably in his mid-50s; he's average height and a little pudgy. He was dressed in a uniform with several Loyola patches. I've seen him before for I do homework in this same spot a lot. He was emptying the garbage when he decided that he would take a break and start chatting with me. Typical of older people, he decided to bring up the subject of weather. He elaborated on how this storm wasn't as big as the one Baltimore had in 2003, but nonetheless he referred to it as being "quite large". He talked about how he got the week off, because he couldn't get to work and how he became really lazy. We talked about swimming and the FAC and how he enjoyed being a janitor up there better than on the main campus. I hope that I'll see him more as I continue to do homework throughout the year in this spot, and I hope to have more conversations with him. It's people like him that make me enjoy Baltimore ever more. Sure the workers are a little more slow paced down here, but if you take the time to actually talk with the people who clean the dorms and make our food, you get to hear their stories. Take the time to talk with people, you never know what you're going to learn.

What I'm reading: Comte's contribution to the evolution of sociology
What I'm thinking about: How pretty Loyola's campus is at night

No comments:

Post a Comment