02 February 2010

Average Week

Well this is my first blog post that I've ever done. I'm not sure how often I'll be updating this, but I hope that I can type out some things that are on my mind.

I've been talking with my friends lately about their college experience so far. I haven't really felt like I've learned any new information yet. Upon finishing my first fall semester, I've made a lot of friends and started to do some service through the Center for Community Service and Justice on campus. I applied to be a Service Coordinator for next year in CCSJ. I'd essentially be a liaison between a community organization and students at the school.

I've really enjoyed my work with Care-A-Van last semester. Every Monday and Wednesday afternoon, I finish Spanish and go to the kitchen to help make sandwiches (ham, cheese and mustard on white bread) to distribute to people in Upper Fells Point later in the day. Every Wednesday, I go downtown with a group of other students and distribute these sandwiches to people in need. The conversations I have with these people are excellent. I've really learned a lot about issues about homelessness and hunger as well as urban poverty.

One man told me a story of how he lost his Taxi license because he couldn't afford to obtain the needed funds to renew it. He told me about the different kinds of things he had to do: FBI background checks, drivers license renewals, ect. It seems absurd that someone who wants to work, is hampered by all kinds of governmental regulations. Now the man was experiencing homelessness. I haven't seen him this semester, so hopefully he got his license and now is working.

I've also been volunteering at a Catholic Worker House called Viva House in West Baltimore. Ideally, I will be traveling there every Thursday to help out with their food program. Willa and Brendan are the two workers to operate the house. They seem incredibly interesting and I'm really excited to talk with them about Baltimore and other social justice issues.

Well that's all I feel like typing for now, so I'll probably post something later!

1 comment: