31 March 2010

Guate

It took two delayed planes and taxi ride to get here, but finally I'm in Antigua, Guatemala. It's not what I expected at all. Guatemala City is quite modern and the airport was top notch. Liam and Margaret's apartment is quite nice. The streets are cobblestone with stucco houses creating a grid patterned neighborhood. Everyone drives around in old school busses, scooters, or old cars. I had trouble breathing with all the smog at first, mostly because I've had a cold for the last few days and my lungs are weak from all the coughing. We went out to eat at a lovely restaurants called Monoloco (crazy monkey) and I had a delicious hummus sandwich. Antigua is not what I expected; there are lots of different kinds of people here of different cultures and races. It's not all Guatemalans. I also learned a new handshake.

Tomorrow, if I feel well, we will hike up a volcano. It shall be a splendid experience. I'll have more tomorrow or the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment